Friday, May 4, 2012

Travel Grants

To whom it may concern,

I'm a MA student at Eastern Washington University and i'm trying to go on a cultural exchange to Cuba in December.  I'm searching out travel grants and other forms of funding so that I am able to attend this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.  I am seeking out any and all forms of grants to help fund this.  Below I have attached my preliminary research prospectus for the trip, if you know of any travel grants that I might qualify for, please leave them in the comments or send them to my twitter account @ZacharyWnek.  Thank you for your time.

 - Zach Wnek

My plan in traveling to Cuba is to examine the presentation of public history and compare it to the American presentation of public history.  I am hoping to examine how the presentation of history differs in Cuba, since the state controls the media and presumably the presentation of history.  I am hoping to look at Cuban history broadly looking at their National Parks, historic walks or landscapes, and Cuban culture by taking in a baseball game.  By looking at these factors and others I'm hoping to put together a picture of Cuban public history which I will be sharing with everyone on my blog and in other venues by request.  Upon return from Cuba I plan on comparing the presentation of Cuban history to how American history is presented.  I know that I'm using some broad strokes here saying that the presentation of American history is uniform, I assure you it is not.  However I am hoping to use fairly standard models of American interpretation of history seen commonly across the United States as a model, acknowledging that the field of American historical interpretation is constantly changing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment