Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Research Proposal

In this blog post, I'm hoping to outline my research for stops on the Spokane Historical website and mobile app.  It is my hope that these stops will provide not only historic information but also tell some sort of historical story to bring the past to life.  I began my research hoping to focus on the 'Three B's' that is Bars, Brothels and Breweries.  Unfortunately I found that there simply weren't enough of the 'three B's' to manage 10 coherent stops for Spokane Historical.  This conundrum lead me to a smorgasbord of stops, outlined below, I hope to convey the importance of these stops and a peak into the research availability of the stops.



Schade Brewery
Schade Brewery was a brewery in Spokane, built in the late 19th Century which served the greater Spokane area, creating between 30-40,000 barrels of ale per year.  This brewery is currently home to the EWU Riverpoint bookstore, a Pharmacy and a STCU branch.  This building appears as if it has been relatively unharmed by the historic rehabilitation, most of the building looking similar to historic photographs I have found, however the ground floor has been altered to accommodate said businesses.  I have found some papers regarding this business at the WSU archives, and am planning a time in which I could go down to examine these papers, hopefully finding a story for Spokane Historical.



Dutch Jake's Saloon
Jake had been a partner in a mine which turned out color.  This mine investment yielded Jake a fortune, which he invested into a saloon in downtown Spokane.  The saloon was destroyed in the Spokane fire, however Jake re-built the Saloon just as it was before the fire.  The building stands downtown, across from Riverfront Park.  I have not yet identified many sources for this site, I'm going to look into the Spokesman-Review and the NW room at the library.


Duffy and Butler's
Duffy and Buter's was built in the 19th Century, this historic building was a tavern, serving Spokane.  At this point I don't know a lot about this site, however I do know that it is highlighted at the Spokane City Website, which claims it was occupied in 1897.  Research on this site will continue beginning with the Spokesman-Review and NW Room.

Marshall-Wells Warehouse
Better known as the Jensen-Byrd building near EWU / WSU Riverpoint campus.  This building was designed by architect Albert Held and was used as a warehouse constructed in 1909.  This is the beginning of what I'm calling my Albert Held tour, as he was the architect for many buildings in Spokane, which are still standing.  Unfortunately after this summer this structure will likely no longer by standing, as WSU has decided not to re-habilitate this structure to meet their needs.  So far my sources have been the Spokesman-Review.


Montvale Block
This is the historic Montvale Hotel, which was built in 1899 as a hotel.  This structure has been re-habilitated and is currently in use as a hotel.  Spokesman-Review and NW Room are likely sources, I'm also hoping to meet with the people who run the hotel and conduct an interview asking about why they chose to re-habilitate, inquire if there is any connection to the people who ran it initially.


Otis Hotel
The Otis Hotel was built in 1911, initially used as a hotel and was converted to apartments at one point in its history.  I am interested in what sort of tenants lived at the Otis, I am hoping to find some sort of letter describing the Otis at its prime to share with Spokane Historical, initially looking in S-R and NW room.


Whitten Block
The Whitten block was built in 1889-1890, I don't actually know a lot about this site yet, however I am eager to learn more.  The building is curenly home to the Hotel Lusso, hopefully I can meet with the owner / operator to get more insight into the hotel and why they have chosen to rehabilitate the building rather than building new, and to see if there are any known stories regarding the Whitten Block.  Further research in S-R and the NW Room.


The Breslin
The Breslin was built in 1910, by noted architect Albert Held.  I'm still working on the background of this structure, but I do know that it is currently used as apartment housing.  The Breslin will be one of the stops on my Albert Held Tour.  The Albert Held sites may change as I research further into Albert Held, if I have overlooked a major site that is still in existence.


The Amman
This building is another by Albert Held, I'm working to find more information about Albert Held, as I said before, hopefully I will find something in the Library to get me started to better understand the architectural elements in his work and the importance of the structures.  Sorry for the bad photo of this site.



The Knickerbocker
This is my last stop on the Albert Held tour, (so far) and is now an apartment block.  This building was built in 1912, and is one of the more interesting structures on the tour.  The building itself basically has two wings, attached in the center.  This building is visually pleasing, and I'm hoping to find an interesting story to go along with the intriguing architecture, or perhaps the architecture will create the story.


1 comment: