Friday, September 21, 2012

Back in the Saddle

Wow!  What a summer.  Working at the Washington State Archives, Eastern Region and Digital Archives has taught me a lot.  Right now I am beginning work on my MA final project in lieu of thesis.  This project will be creating an online and mobile experience for a museum in order to bring them into the 21st century.  During this project I am hoping to learn more about HTML, CSS, Java and other web languages in order to build this project from the ground up.  However if I am unable to learn all of this, I am going to be the content creator for the project.  I am hoping to gain valuable experience in creation.

My hope is that these exhibits will be a different experience for all of the different types of devices, desktop, tablet and smartphone which highlights the best qualities for all devices.  This project may be a bit ambitious, however I believe the way forward for public history lies in the digital sphere.

I will also be attending the Museum + Mobile conference on Oct. 23rd, to gain some more information about how these type of applications / websites are being used, what is and is not working.  I am very enthusiastic about this project and believe it will challenge my technical skills as well as increase my understanding of how the public absorbs history.  I am quite excited and am ready to take this on, if anybody out there has any publications or blogs dealing with this please link them to my site so that I can increase my knowledge base. 

The blog is back and will be updated at least weekly so keep coming back to see how I'm progressing.

1 comment:

  1. I would love to see the finished result! Please keep me updated. On a side note, HTML isn't too hard but I'd really love to find a good tutorial on Java!

    ReplyDelete